All Linux users at some point in time or other have wondered what if smartphones have a terminal window that would work without any rooting required whatsoever. Termux is an innovative Android and F-Droid application that makes it possible.
The app acts as an Android terminal emulator and a Linux-environment app that can be easily downloaded from the Google Play Store. Termux can be easily run on your smartphones without any setup or rooting. If you are a Windows user and looking for a PC variant of this app, you can use an emulator to download it on your Windows device. The steps to the process are elaborated below and the features of Termux are also discussed in detail.
Steps to Install Termux for Windows PC
1. As Termux is only available as a smartphone application in the Google Play Store, you need to make sure that you are using an Android emulator for this process. Downloading an iOS emulator will not help the process as Termux is not available in the Apple Store.
2. What an emulator essentially does it replicate or duplicate the user interface of one device onto another. This allows applications and software of the former device to run on the latter. Here the user interface of an Android smartphone is replicated on your PC. It makes it possible to, therefore, download and install smartphone applications like Termux and run them on a PC.
3. The recommended Android emulators are BlueStacks and Nox Player. Both these emulators are virus-free and reliable. User reviews back their excellent performance and friendly user-interface. The download links to both these emulators can be found on their company websites respectively. BlueStacks is currently the most downloaded Android emulator. It is a high-end emulator that is commonly used for gaming. Subsequently, you can also download any other emulator of your choice.
4. Once you have downloaded and installed an emulator of your choice, launch it. The user interface of the emulator should match that of an Android smartphone. If not, there is a problem with the emulator. Uninstall the current emulator and repeat the steps with a new one.
5.Once inside the emulator, find the Google Play Store icon on the home page of the emulator and open it. You will instantly be directed to a log in page. As you are accessing the store for the first time from your PC, logging in is mandatory. If you have an existing Google Account, you can use those credentials. Otherwise, you also have the option of creating a new account with a quick email verification procedure.
6. Once inside the store, you will be able to browse and download all the apps there. Go to the search bar at the top of the window and search for the Termux app. Termux will appear on your screen immediately.
7. Click on the Install button next to the application. Termux will be downloaded and installed on your emulator. Click on the app icon on the emulator and launch Termux for Windows PC.
Salient Features of Termux for PC
· As mentioned before, Termux brings to Android users the experience of using a terminal emulator.
· Along with it, Termux brings together several free available packages namely clang, FFmpeg, OpenSSH, Python, Vim, and several others,
· With Termux, you will get the feel of a comprehensive Linux environment. Termux is not an operating system but simply a terminal emulator that works as a shell script editor.
· After you have given the relevant permissions to Termux from your device, you will be able to access device storage from the terminal.
· Terminal code, however, is not common knowledge. If you want to have an enhanced user experience, some knowledge of the codes is required.
· It has been lately reported that Termux is being used for illegal purposes like unethical hacking. While hackers do not stop at a single interface, a recent rise in such cases has led Termux developers to take stern steps. On discovering such activities, concerned users are banned from using the app again.
Similar Applications that you can download
· Terminal Emulator – The user interface of all apps of this niche is exactly the same. Terminal Emulator is a popular terminal application highly recommended by experts.
· AndroNix – As the name suggests, AndroNix is a similar terminal app developed by Techriz. The app has good user reviews.
Go On, Tell Us What You Think!
Did we miss something? Come on! Tell us what you think about our guide to download termux for Windows PC in the comments section.